Sunday 17 June 2012

Please Check Spelling

I have had enough! I am reading Amateur Gardening and in two pages I've found "scared cow" for "sacred cow", and "prefect" for "perfect". Don't magazines bother to proof read their articles any more?

To be honest, the computer magazines I read tend to be worse than Amateur Gardening in this regard, but the final straw falls where it falls. I am sympathetic, I use Swype and if I don't keep a sharp look out all sorts of strange alternatives to my chosen words jump into my text. A spell check can help but as long as the wrong word is in the dictionary, it will not be picked up as an error.

I recognise that in these harsh economic times people have to eke out their resources, and many writers have to produce several interesting pieces each week, it's a lot of work. I think it is unreasonable for publishers to not only expect writers to produce copy but also pick up all their mistakes (most yes, but not all). However a magazine published with several errors appears unprofessional, however good the content and it's annoying, irksome. Surely it is the responsibility of the editors to ensure the finish of the product? Tim Rumball, I'm talking to you!

I buy magazines for their content, a few spelling mistakes won't stop me from reading, they'll just take away a little of the enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment