Friday 13 July 2012

Thoughts on Rangers

I don't follow football, not the round ball game anyway, but I can't help but feel slightly saddened by the descent of the Glasgow Rangers to the Third Division. Even for those of us who care not for football the "Old Firm" is part of our consciousness, it is one of those things that defines Glasgow. Sadly much of the identity of this city belongs to the memory rather than the present, Red Clydeside, the International Brigades, ship building and the UCS work in, Springburn locomotives, it would be sad if the Old Firm were to join them. Somehow Celtic without Rangers is like Laurel without Hardy or Francie withoot Josie. However much they may have inconvenienced us, the Old Firm games were part of the rhythm of this city's life. I don't much care about the financial impact Ranger's demotion may have on the other clubs, when they chose to put Rangers in the Third Division they will have been aware of the financial implications. I feel more sorry for the shopkeepers, restauranters, publicans and coach firms whose livlihood will be affected.

Of course the Rangers' story is not over and I, for one, will not assume this is the end. Given their heritage and support, I suspect we will see a new era for Rangers. Over the next few years they will probably climb back up the league, perhaps with a new emphasis on home grown talent. I certainly would not bet against them becoming once more League Champions within the next decade. I won't pay much attention to their fortunes, but when they do complete their come back I will go to the cinema to see the film of their return, "No Surrender - The Rangers Story". I wonder if they could get Tom Cruise to play Ali McCoist!

No comments:

Post a Comment